How to File an Appeal for Social Security Disability in West Virginia

Contacting Pat Jacobs Beforehand

If you have been rejected after filing for Social Security Disability in Charleston, West Virginia, then you may be able to file an appeal with the help of a Social Security Disability attorney.

Thousands of residents in West Virginia apply for Social Security Disability every year, but less than a third are successful. People in this situation rarely know what to do next, leading them to feel cheated by the decision made. The process of appealing for Social Security Disability benefits can be a complicated and lengthy one that will leave the applicant confused and at a loss.

Appealing Your Case in West Virginia

The first step in appealing your Social Security Disability case is known as a “Request for Reconsideration.” This request must be filed within 60 days of being denied for Social Security Disability benefits. Around 20% of these appeals go in favor of the applicant, while the remaining 80% are forced to request a hearing before an administrative law judge in order to receive the help and benefits that were requested.

What Happens If Your Appeal Is Denied?

If you’re unable to appeal your case, you will be asked to request a hearing before an administrative law judge. Jacobs Law Office can help you file this request should your first appeal be unsuccessful. The hearing is often scheduled up to 13 months after a hearing request is filed. We’ll inform you about the hearing process and help you understand all of the questions that you may be asked. You should receive a formal decision after this process within one to three months.

Unfortunately, even if this process is successful, you won’t retroactively receive the benefits of Social Security Disability. Because of this, it’s vital that you speak to us as soon as your initial application is denied, so that we can provide you with our services. Sometimes, a second appeal is also denied, but there are still two more chances to get approved.

One way to do this is to appeal to the Appeals Council of the Social Security Administration, while the other is the final chance to appeal to the federal court. This process can take up to 5 months before the Social Security Administration decides to approve your request, but if successful, you’ll receive benefits dating back to your original application.

Pat Jacobs is a highly trained, experienced attorney that is ready to assist you. He wants to help you get the financial compensation that you deserve.

Pat recommends that you reach out to him before you ever file for Social Security Disability. He understands how disheartening it can be to be denied, but rest assured, he will assist you throughout the entire process! Contact him today.